Hello, hello! So, it isn’t Saturday. It’s Sunday morning. I might have let the week run away with me and completely forgotten to write up this week’s Sweet Saturdays recipe in time.
This week, I have an amazing recipe, tweaked from my favourite pre-vegan days chocolate chip cookie recipe that I have scribbled on a piece of paper inside one of my recipe books. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 225g soft light brown sugar
- 75g caster sugar
- 170g dairy free spread (sunflower spread is my personal preference for baking)
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 50ml soya milk
- 250g plain flour
- 1/4tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150g dairy free chocolate chips (I used Cocoa Loco dark chocolate buttons, chopped up)
- Line 2-3 baking trays with greaseproof paper (this is necessary, or your cookies will stick). Preheat your oven to 175°C.
- Cream together the dairy free spread and sugars until light and soft. Then add the soya milk and vanilla extract and beat together.
- Sift in the flour and bicarbonate of soda and mix until a dough forms. Add the chocolate chips and mix in.
- Place tablespoons of the mixture onto the trays (no more than 4-6 cookies baked on each tray – the cookies will spread out). Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned. Allow the cookies to cool completely before removing them from the greaseproof paper. (The best way to remove them is by turning the paper upside down and peeling the greaseproof backing off slowly and carefully.)
- Mix up the flavours by adding white chocolate, a handful of oats or swapping out 25g flour for 25g cocoa.
- Make ice cream sandwiches by putting a slice of ice cream between two cookies. Keep them in the freezer until you’re ready to serve them up.